Saturday 21 April 2012

Newspaper Nails


After painting my nails with my new OPI - my pointe exactly I realised that is is a great colour for doing newspaper nails.  I have tried these before and the writing came out smudgey or not very strong on most nails.  But these ones turned out great!  I think it must be based on the first nail polish you put down as well as how you apply the print onto your nails to get it nice and clear like this. Here is how I did it:

OPI - My Pointe Exactly 
George - Matte Finisher
Gin (60%) but any strong alcohol works
Cotton Wool
Bits of newspaper writing cut out to nail shapes

  1. I first painted my nails all over with the OPI varnish.  It took 4 coats to get it to a usable colour for these.  
  2. I waited till they were COMPLETELY dry (or you may have actual pieces of newspaper stuck to your nails!)
  3. I dipped my finger into the gin and then dipped the newspaper cutouts into the gin while holding it with tweezers.
  4. Then I carefully positioned the newspaper print side down over my nail the way I wanted it and covered it with the cotton wool and pushed down an even pressure all over my nail for about 20 seconds. 
  5. I removed the cotton wool and gave the newspaper a quick last push down to make sure as much ink got off it as possible and gently peeled it off with the tweezers.
  6. Any excess paper left on my nail I picked off with the tweezers gently.  But don't worry too much about little fluffys left because they are not noticeable after a topcoat.
  7. Repeat these steps with all your nails and you should have these!
  8. I finished with a topcoat and then a matte topcoat (because newspapers are not shiny :))
Hope this tutorial made sense and was easy to follow.  Leave a comment about how it worked for you and leave a link if you tried it out and snapped a photo :)

Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment